Tuesday, November 24, 2009

I know I talked about my shell a little bit already in my post talking about last week, but since the shell is the main thing due for this week I will talk a  little more in depth about it.  When I look at this one compared to the one's I have done previous, the main thing I notice it my use of line.  I notice I vary my line weights a lot more from dark to light in making certain parts of my shell stick out more to seem more 3D.  Another thing I tried doing with this shell drawing is trying not to make my lines so evenly spaced between each other.  I succeeded in some places but it is something I could still work on so it doesn't look so grid-like.  I thought this point of view would be a little harder than the other ones I have done because it showed the open part of the shell, but I actually really enjoyed drawing that part and it wasn't as hard as I have expected.  I feel like that part of the shell really looks like it goes in depth.  I talked about the scale a little already but like I said, it definitely got me out of my comfort zone.  Because it was so large, I drew it on my floor, so even that was different for me because I am used to looking at my drawings straight on rather that perpendicular to me so that was a challenge.  I often would have to stand up to look at what I was doing to make sure I was on the right track.  For this drawing I also used a different tool that usual, that being a charcoal pencil.  I liked that a lot because it stayed sharp and it didn't make my hands such a mess.  I also felt like I had more control working with it.  One thing I noticed with this paper is that it doesn't erase well so it is easier to see your mistakes.  When I photographed this for my blog I actually liked the photo of it better than in real life which I do not find happening very often.  I think it might be the difference in lighting or making it seem more crisp, but I am not really sure why. Something I still would like to work on is varying my lines. 
     What we talked about during critique was a lot of what I have already mentioned.  Overall it went pretty well.  One thing that was said about being improved on is darkening the front lines more or lightening the back lines to show more depth.  Another thing stated was that I changed the way I draw, which isn't a good or bad thing, just something different.  I think it is nice to experiment every now and then to see what works and what doesn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment